Scholastic Metaphysics: A Contemporary Introduction
By Edward Feser.
Editions Scholasticae (April 1, 2014). 290 pgs.
Scholastic Metaphysics: A Contemporary Introduction provides an overview of Scholastic approaches to causation, substance, essence, modality, identity, persistence, teleology, and other issues in fundamental metaphysics. The book interacts heavily with the literature on these issues in contemporary analytic metaphysics, so as to facilitate the analytic reader’s understanding of Scholastic ideas and the Scholastic reader’s understanding of contemporary analytic philosophy. The Aristotelian theory of actuality and potentiality provides the organizing theme, and the crucial dependence of Scholastic metaphysics on this theory is demonstrated. The book is written from a Thomistic point of view, but Scotist and Suarezian positions are treated as well where they diverge from the Thomistic position.
- Scholastic metaphysics: an interview with Edward Feser on his new book, with Joseph Trabbic. Thomistica.
- Is Scholasticism Making a Comeback?, by Rev. James V. Schall, S.J. Crisis 01/19/15:
… One of the pleasures of this book is that Feser is locked in argument with those who seek to explain reality but whose examination of it often leaves out something important. He is not afraid to say that an argument is “bogus” or “absurd” or “incoherent,” nor is he afraid to explain why. Feser says these things only after he shows the point that grounds his judgment. And lest we forget, philosophy is about judgment.
- Scholastic Metaphysics: Review by Paul Symington, Franciscan University of Steubenville Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews 09/12/14. [Response by Dr. Feser 09/11/14].
- Metaphysics and the Case Against Scientism, by Christopher S. Morrissey. Catholic World Report 08/25/14. “Edward Feser’s new book, “Scholastic Metaphysics”, makes a strong case for the contemporary relevance of St. Thomas Aquinas’s philosophical reflections on Aristotle.”
- Scholastic Metaphysics: Edward Feser’s Introduction, by William Carroll. The Public Discourse 08/15/14. “Edward Feser’s latest book gives readers who are familiar with analytic philosophy an excellent overview of scholastic metaphysics in the tradition of Thomas Aquinas.” [Response by Edward Feser].
- Review: Scholastic Metaphysics, by Andrew Fulford. Calvinist International 07/30/14.
- Feser’s Scholastic Metaphysics – Book Review: Part I | Part II. The Smithy
NOTE: This post will be updated with further reviews and information as it becomes available on the web.