A Catholic Showdown Worth Watching, by Patrick J. Deneen. The American Conservative February 6, 2004. “The most interesting Roman split is over liberal democracy itself.”
- Liberalism, Capitalism & Pluralism: The Catholic Wars Continue, by Bonchamps. Scribd.com. 2/10/14. | (Discussion @ The American Catholic).
- Catholic and American (and Quirky About It), by Peter Lawler. First Things 02/11/14.
* * *
Illiberal Catholicism, by John Zmirack. Aleteia. 12/31/13. “Catholics used to be open to the lessons of freedom from the American experience. Are we forgetting those lessons?”
- Breaking Open the Liberal Echo Chamber, by Mark Gordon. Ethika Politika 01/23/14.
- Three Cheers for Illiberal Catholicism, by Modestinus. Opus Publicum
- Integralism Sancrucenis 01/16/14.
- Rejecting Zmirak’s Rejection of ‘Illiberal Catholicism’, by Andrew S. Haines. Ethika Politika 01/08/14.
- Contra Zmirak: In Praise of the Inquisition, by Arthur Rosman. Cosmos in the Lost 01/02/14.
- The Enlightenment is Not Enough, by Jason Jones and John Zmirack. Aleteia 01/07/14.
* * *
Unsustainable Liberalism, by Patrick J. Deneen. First Things
- The Art of Liberty, by Daniel J. Mahoney. First Things First Things
- Public Life without Political Theory, by Paul J. Griffiths. First Things
- Eudaimonia in America, by Robert Miller. “A pragmatic defense of American liberalism in response to Alisdair MacIntyre and Patrick J. Deneen.” First Things
- Why Social Conservatives Should Be Patriotic Americans: A Critique of Patrick Deneen, by Vincent Phillip Munoz. The Public Discourse (The Witherspoon Institute). 11/28/12. “Rather than reject liberalism for its excesses, we should take up the more modest task of recovering the principles of liberalism once embraced by our founding fathers and Abraham Lincoln.”
- Better than Our Philosophy: A Response to Muñoz, by Patrick J. Deneen. 11/29/12.
- Sustaining American Liberalism in Principle and Practice by Vincent Phillip Munoz.
- Sustainable Liberalism, by Nathan Schlueter. The Public Discourse (The Witherspoon Institute). 12/07/12. “The solution to the political and moral crisis of our time does not lie in abandoning liberalism or in defending Lockeanism. It rests in the recovery of natural law liberalism—a sustainable public philosophy that is true to reason, to nature, and to Christian belief.”
- Liberalism’s Logic and America’s Challenge: A Reply to Schlueter and Muñoz, by Patrick J. Deneen. The Public Discourse (The Witherspoon Institute). 03/06/13. “The Founders’ vision of the ‘common good’ was not the pre-modern natural law conception of an objective human good, but a conception of ‘mutual advantage’ shaped by the social contract framework. This logic of liberalism has driven our country to its current political and cultural problems.”
* * *
Murry’s Mistake, by Michael Baxter. America 09/23/13. “The political divisions a theologian failed to foresee.”
- Misreading Murray, Yet Again, by George Weigel. The Catholic Difference 10/11/13.