Dr. Ralph McInerny died on Friday, at the age of 80. Zenit reports:
Ralph McInerny was a professor of philosophy and the Michael P. Grace Professor of Medieval Studies at the University of Notre Dame.
He held degrees from St. Paul Seminary, University of Minnesota and Laval University, and had taught at the University of Notre Dame since 1955. He directed the Jacques Maritain Center from 1979 to 2006.
He was an acknowledged expert on the writings of St. Thomas Aquinas, and a prolific author. He penned over two dozen scholarly books, many more scholarly essays, and over 80 novels.
He wrote the popular book series Father Dowling Mysteries, which became a successful television program starring Tom Bosley and Tracy Nelson. …
In 1982, he co-founded Crisis Magazine with Michael Novak. The publication is now known as InsideCatholic.
In 2006, he published his autobiography titled I Alone Have Escaped to Tell You: My Life And Pastimes.
Perhaps it is fitting, that he should pass one day after the feast of St. Thomas Aquinas.
- Remembering Ralph McInerny, by Treant Beattie. National Catholic Register 01/30/14. Philosophy professor and famed writer Ralph McInerny died four years ago on Jan. 29. His intellectual legacy, however, has not died; in fact, according to his brother Dennis, it has barely begun to be made manifest.
- “The Writing Life” an autobiographical essay. First Things March 2006.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Via Joseph Bottum, memories of Dr. Christopher Kaczor at Loyola Marymount, one of his many students and a tribute from Thomas S. Hibbs of Baylor University.
- Ralph McInerny (1929-2010) – Tributes from Robert Royal, Michael Novak, Bruce Fingerhut and John O’Callaghan of The Catholic Thing. February 1, 2010.
- In Memoriam: Ralph McInerny (1929–2010), by Fr. Joseph W. Koterski, S. J. First Principles February 1, 2010.
- Thoughts About Ralph McInerny: “A Man of Wit, Wisdom and Achievement”, by Steven A. Long. Zenit. February 2, 2010.
- Sketches of Ralph, by Hadley Arkes. The Catholic Thing February 2, 2010.
- Ralph McInerny, philosopher and author NewScotsman.com. February 2, 2010.
- What McInerny saw in Thomas, by Joseph Upton. First Things‘ “On The Square” February 6, 20010.
- “Death of a Storyteller”, by Tom Hoopes. National Catholic Register February 8, 20010.
- Ralph McInerny, 1929-2010, by Joseph Bottum. Weekly Standard February 15, 2010.
- And What’s More . . . A recollection by Christopher Kaczor ’94MMS, ’96Ph.D. (Notre Dame Magazine Winter 2010-11).