Global WarmingGate: What Does It Mean?, by Charlie Martin (PajamasMedia November 22, 2009):
Late on the night of of November 19, news broke on PJM and elsewhere that a large amount of data had been stolen from one of the major climate research institutions by an unknown hacker and made available on the Internet. The institution is the University of East Anglia Climate Research Unit, home institution for Dr Phil Jones and one of the world’s centers of research into anthropogenic global warming (AGW), or “climate change.”
The hackers released about 172 megabytes of data, and we can be sure examining it closely will take some time. But after a few days, certain things are beginning to become clear.
- The data appears to be largely, perhaps entirely, authentic.
- The emails are incendiary.
- The implications shake the scientific basis for AGW, and the scientific reputations of some of AGW’s major proponents, to their roots
What? — Manipulating data in wholesale subservience to their political agenda? I thought scientists were beyond such things!
- The Climate E-mails and the Politics of Science, by Ivan Kenneally. The New Atlantis
- “Climategate” and the Social Validation of Knowledge, by Ilya Somin The Volokh Conspiracy
- Climate of Fraud: What do hacked e-mails tell us about global-warming research? A National Review Symposium.
- Global Warming With the Lid Off Wall Street Journal November 24, 2009.
- (Via Donald R. McClarey, the blogger Watts Up With That on the news that of yet another case of fudging the data by proponents of global warming:
The New Zealand Government’s chief climate advisory unit NIWA is under fire for allegedly massaging raw climate data to show a global warming trend that wasn’t there.
The scandal breaks as fears grow worldwide that corruption of climate science is not confined to just Britain’s CRU climate research centre.
- DarwinCatholic on “Programmer Smack Talk and Global Warming”
- Eduardo Zorita, a researcher on past temperature trends at the Institute for Coastal Research in Germany, is calling for prominent Climategate reseachers, Phil Jones, Michael Mann, and Stefan Rahmstorf, to be banned from any future work on the Intergrovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s reports.
- “Now the Russians confirm that UK climate scientists manipulated data to exaggerate global warming”, reports the Telegraph‘s James Delingpole. (12/16/09).
- “Climategate: … And Just Like That, the Warming’s Gone (PJM Exclusive)”, by Joseph D’Aleo, Executive Director of http://icecap.us, a former professor of meteorology and climatology, the First Director of Meteorology at the Weather Channel, and a fellow of the American Meteorology Society.