Avery Cardinal Dulles passed away at about 6:30 on the morning of December 12th, 2008 — at Murray-Weigel Hall, the Jesuit infirmary, located at Fordham University, in Bronx, New York.
- Homily of Fr. Joseph O’Hare Mass of the Holy Eucharist in honor of Cardinal Dulles. Fordham University Chapel (Bronx, NY). December 18, 2008.
- Report: Avery Cardinal Dulles, SJ, Laid to Rest James Martin, SJ. America December 18, 2008.
- Cardinal Dulles’ Funeral: A Brief Theological Note, by Tom Beaudoin. America December 18, 2008.
Obituaries | In the News
- Avery Dulles, 90; Prominent Catholic Cardinal, Theologian (Obituary) Washington Post December 14, 2008.
- Cardinal Avery Dulles: Roman Catholic theologian, by Joseph Bottum. Times (London) December 13, 2008.
- Cardinal Avery Dulles, Theologian, Is Dead at 90, by Robert D. McFadden. New York Times December 12, 2008.
- Remembering Cardinal Avery Dulles, by Michael Paulson. “Articles of Faith” Boston Globe December 13, 2008.
- The Society of Jesus Mourns the Passing of Avery Cardinal Dulles December 12, 2008.
- Fordham Mourns the Death of Avery Cardinal Dulles, S.J. Fordham University. December 12, 2008.
- Cardinal Avery Dulles, S.J., RIP, by John Allen, Jr. National Catholic Reporter
“Having learned with sadness of the death of Cardinal Avery Dulles, I offer you my heartfelt condolences, which I ask you to kindly convey to his family, his confreres in the Society of Jesus and the academic community of Fordham University. I join you in commending the late Cardinal’s noble soul to God, the Father of Mercies, with immense gratitude for the deep learning, serene judgment and unfailing love of the Lord and his Church which marked his entire priestly ministry and his long years of teaching and theological research. At the same time I pray that his convincing personal testimony to the harmony of faith and reason will continue to bear fruit for the conversion of minds and hearts and the progress of the gospel for many years to come. To all who mourn him in the hope of the resurrection I cordially impart my apostolic blessing as a pledge of consolation and peace in our Lord Jesus Christ.” – Pope Benedict XVI.
- Pope Benedict XVI Notes Gratitude for Late Cardinal Dulles Zenit News Service. December 14, 2008.
- The Very Model Of Lucidity, by George Weigel. Newsweek December 13, 2008.
- Avery Cardinal Dulles – Remembrances by Fr. Robert Sirico The Acton Institute. December 12, 2008.
- The passing of Cardinal Dulles, by Cardinal Sean O’Malley. December 12, 2008.
- Avery Dulles: Disciple of Jesus, by Drew Christiansen, SJ. America “In All Things” December 13, 2008.
- Avery, friend and hero, by James Martin, SJ. America “In All Things” December 12, 2008.
- President of United States Conference of Catholic Bishops Expresses Sadness over Death of Cardinal Avery Dulles, SJ United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. December 12, 2008.
- Avery Dulles: Collected Online Articles & Addresses
- Contributions to America Magazine.
- Contributions to First Things
- Avery Dulles: Fordam University’s Videos-on-Demand – Including the McGinley Lectures and his creation as a Cardinal in Rome on February 21, 2001.