Run Fred Run! – Prof. Stephen Bainbridge offers a few reasons why he hopes to see former Senator-turned-actor Fred Thompson run for President on the GOP ticket — among them:
Unlike say Hillary or Romney, he hasn’t been planning to run for President ever since s/he got elected President of the 9th Grade class and the senior football players ran his/her underwear up the flagpole, as illustrated by his famous comment that “After two years in Washington, I often long for the realism and sincerity of Hollywood.”
Here’s a few more points in Thompson’s favor:
He authored a piece for the National Review (March 15, 2007) titled: Gandhi’s Way Isn’t the American Way.
- Fred Thompson has on multiple occasions pronounced “nuclear” correctly.
- Every night before going to sleep, Osama bin Laden checks under his bed for Fred Thompson.
- Fred Thompson took over what was Al Gore’s Senate seat, thereby dramatically reducing the Senate’s carbon footprint. Fred Thompson then created carbon offset offsets by wastefully burning hippies.
- Fred Thompson once ended a filibuster by ripping out a Senator’s heart and showing it to him before he died.
- Fred Thompson vows not only to win in Iraq but also to forcefully free Vietnam from Communism, thus giving America a perfect win/loss record for wars again.
- Fred Thompson once stood on our south border and glared at Mexico. There was no illegal immigration for a month.
Honest truth, this guy’s a winner.
On a more serious note, The Roman Catholic Blog is discussing the matter of Fred Thompson & Abortion (he seems to have a solid pro-life legislative record and merited the disapproval of NARAL).
I loathe Giuliani and believe he is a disaster for the GOP; if you’ve been reading Catholics in the Public Square, you’ll know I support and appreciate Senator Brownback, but I have to wonder if Brownback has what it takes to garner popular support and come out ahead? — Still pretty early.
I’d so love to see Thompson go head to head against Hillary.
Update: For all things Fred, try the Fredipedia.