- One book that changed your life: – C.S. Lewis’ Mere Christianity, read to me by my father when I was young; which I picked up and read for the first time at a Baptist youth camp in my teens, and which I re-read as a junior in college — the latter two occasions prompting a re-examination of my wayward life and rededication to the Lord.
- One book that you’ve read more than once: Heart of the World, by Hans Urs von Balthasar. It captivates me every time.
- One book you’d want on a desert island: The Holy Bible; barring that, the works of William Shakespeare or The Imitation of Christ.
- One book that made you laugh: Easy. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.
- One book that made you cry: This is tough, because while I’m moved by literature, it’s rarely to the point of tears. I came close reading Graham Green’s The Heart of the Matter.
- One book that you wish had been written: Um — Cliffnote‘s Edition to Hans Urs von Balthasar. 😉
- One book that you wish had never been written: Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Mein Kampf doesn’t get much play these days, but the Protocols has enjoyed a devious popularity for the better part of the century — from National Socialism to the Soviet Union to the Klu Klux Klan, Henry Ford and Fr. Charles Coughlin to the present-day militant Islamic jihad.
- One book you’re currently reading: Aidan Nichols’ The Thought of Benedict XVI: An Introduction to the theology of Joseph Ratzinger. If you’re wondering why it’s taking so long, I’m going to echo ZippyCatholic in describing myself as having ADD when it comes to books: I start another (or two) before I can finish the first. But I aim to finish this one before the year is done.
- One book you’ve been meaning to read: The Catechism of the Catholic Church. Oh, yes, I’ve read numerous portions, but I’m embarassed to say never all the way through. Now that we have the Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church designed especially for laymen like me, I have no excuse.
Other Responders to the “Book Meme” (should you be curious about what everybody’s reading): Ancient and Future Catholic Musings, Apologia, Aun Estamos Vivos, Blog by the Sea, Curt Jester, Elige Ergo Vitam, Fumare, Happy Catholic, In the Light of the Law, Insight Scoop, Open Book, Pro Ecclesia * Pro Familia * Pro Civitate, Res Publica Et Cetera, Summa Minutia, Veritas, Zippy Catholic, You Duped Me, Lord, . . . Gilbert Keith Chesterton,
. . . and a Host of Others.
Oh, and I “tag” anybody who would like to consider themselves “tagged” by this meme. Carry on! =)